Summer Crisis Program Starts July 1

The Ohio Development Services Agency and Buckeye Hills Regional Council will help income-eligible Ohioans stay cool during the hot summer months. The Home Energy Assistance Summer Crisis Program provides eligible Ohioans assistance paying an electric bill or assistance paying for central air conditioning repairs. The program runs from July 1st, 2019 until August 31st, 2019.

To apply for the program, customers are required to schedule an appointment with their county’s Community Action Agency.

  • HAP Community Action – (740) 767-4500

  • GMN Tri-County Community Action – (740) 732-2388

  • Washington-Morgan Community Action – (740) 373-3745

  • Gallia-Meigs Community Action - (740) 367-7341

Customers need to bring copies of the following documents to their appointment:

  • copies of their most recent energy bills

  • a list of all household members and proof of income for the last 30 days or 12 months for each member

  • proof of U.S. citizenship or legal residency for all household members

  • proof of disability (if applicable)

  • physician documentation that cooling assistance is needed for a household member’s health (if there isn’t a household member over the age of 60).

The Summer Crisis Program assists low-income households with an older household member (60 years or older), or households that can provide physician documentation that cooling assistance is needed for a household member's health. Conditions can include lung disease, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, or asthma.

Ohioans enrolled in the Percentage of Income Payment Plan Plus Program (PIPP Plus) are not eligible for bill payment assistance through the program but are encouraged to work with <insert organization name> to identify other opportunities for assistance.

For more information about the features of the Summer Crisis Program, contact Buckeye Hills Regional Council at 800-331-2644. For more information about energy assistance programs call (800)282-0880, Monday through Friday (hearing impaired customers may dial 711 for assistance) and for a list of energy assistance providers select option 2, or visit